Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Blogging again

I am having to start over on our homeschooling blog due to issues with the server. Since the last blog post, we have left k12 due to the constant red-tape balance game. In our state we were required to attend online sessions daily which wasn't an issue to me. What I struggled with for a long time was the amount of time required of the parents to be in "meetings" on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis. There were many times when I spent 3-5 hours on the computer in "teleconferences" and phone calls before I even got the chance to teach my three children their daily lessons. Every frustrating.... so we took the leap into independent homeschooling.

We were public schoolers until January of 2009, when we became just disgusted with the local school system. As previously discussed, we joined the k12 program at first within our state. At first it was wonderful and FREE, but the frustrations grew quickly.

Now, we are a bit more relaxed about how we do school. The kids do all their work but I don't stress about where and what we need to do as much. Currently, we are a mixture of Classical (we love to read), Thomas Jefferson, and student influenced. We have three every different children who have different needs in their education. The Princess loves to read - and can devour books in a day. The Angel prefers hands on activities -- she's also an aspiring artist! Then there's Buddy - he loves to learn but needs many breaks and a lot of patience to excel.

I am going to stop for now as I need to start the day with the children, but I promise I will be back really soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment