Thursday, March 11, 2010

Reading is Essential!

Angel and Buddy have been attending "Reading Class" with their Grammy. Grammy has taught quite a few students to read with fluency within a summer so, Angel and Buddy will benefit greatly from her skills. Princess can reading at a 10th grade level so, we challenged her to read a 150 books by the end of the year. We have no doubt that she will complete this challenge before the holidays are even in the horizon. The ultimate goal of reading class is fluency for the Angel and Buddy so, that reading isn't an everyday battle.

We have been looking at several classical curriculums while compiling a list of must reads for our family. We are quickly becoming thrilled with the adventure of reading from these many lists of essential classical books.

Along with the reading classes (3 times a week for 2 hours each day), we are currently working on English worksheets, Mammoth Math, Discover the Scriptures, reading our scriptures as a family, and working on cooking lessons. We have planned to complete all of the Discover the Scriptures units - they are fantastic!

Change in Progress: I plan on going to the Midwest Homeschool Convention in April of this year. I am in search for new suggestions for science and math. All of the kids love math and science but get bored so quickly. I really want to attend the LDS Homeschool Eastern US Conference in Virginia that happens in May - but like everyone in this economy I don't know if the finances will allow it. (still hoping, though)

3 comments:

  1. I am hoping to go to both of those conferences as well! I am close enough to the Midwest conference that it will be easy for me to attend. I really, really want to go to the LDS one in Virginia but like you, I am wondering if I can afford it.
    Just curious, if you don't mind me asking, where are you from? You can e-mail me or visit my blog. (Just go to my profile to get the e-mail and blog address.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is "discover the scriptures?"

    We used K12 last year in Washington. There it's "Washington Virtual Academy."

    (Cornelia's Kids)

    ReplyDelete
  3. www.discoverthescriptures.com

    This is a wonderful LDS curriculum which brings the scripture reading to the kids with interest and excitement! My kids have always struggled with scripture reading due to "boredom." I find www.discoverthescriptures.com blends homeschool and scripture reading. I LOVE IT!!!

    ReplyDelete